Life in Canada Back   Home  
After getting Immigration, people landing in Canada face many problems. Added to their homesickness are the concerns about how to get things done in Canada. Here is the information about some important things. Job Search in Canada   Top

You approach the Client directly or through a consultant for a job in Canada. Canadian government helps new immigrants by all means in their job search. You can browse Internet from any library or a HRDC center in your locality with a free membership. This is a job site with links to all other major job sites in Canada. All the sites are classified based on the type of jobs they specialize. Nice place to start with. This is the biggest job site in Canada with large number of employers visiting this site for resumes. Posting your resume in this site a good idea.

HRDC Ontario: This is Human Resources Development Center site for Ontario. Every province in Canada has their own sites. I am listing the Ontario site. Here, you can find absolutely any type of job. You have many HRDC centers in Canada where you can browse internet. Very friendly counsellors there help you how to prepare your resume according to Canadian standards. You can call employers for free from these centers. You need to take free membership to access computers and their database and other resources.

Other Major Job Sites: The following are some more popular job sites in Canada.
Career Mosaic Canada
Canada WorkinfoNet

Social Insurance Number   Top

How do I apply Human Resources Development Canada (HRDC) encourages you to apply for your Social Insurance Number(SIN) in person at a Human Resources Centre of Canada (HRCC), formerly the Canada Employment Centre as it is faster and more convenient and it does not require you to part with your valuable identity documents or pay for getting photocopies of documents notarized. You may also apply by mail. To apply for SIN, you must complete an application form and provide an original or true certified copy of a document that proves your identity and status in Canada (this is called a primary document). You must also provide a supporting document if the name on your primary document is different from the one you now use. Application forms may be picked up at your local HRCC. It is important that documents are originals or true certified copies and that they are written in English or French.

Fees No fee is charged for an initial application for a Social Insurance Number card. A $10 fee is charged for the replacement of a Social Insurance Number card, except if the card must be replaced because of a legal name change. If payment is required, personal cheques, bank drafts or money orders should be made payable to the Receiver General for Canada. Cash should never be sent by mail, but is accepted at any HRCC.

Documents Required All individuals must submit a primary document as outlined below. All documents provided must be originals. Photocopies are not acceptable unless certified by a notary public, a commissioner of oaths, or an HRCC officer.

If you are a Canadian Citizen born outside of Canada, you must submit one of these documents:
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship.
  • Canadian Passport.
If you are a Permanent Resident, you must submit one of these documents:
  • Canadian Immigration Record and Visa or Record of Landing (form IMM 1000).
  • Confirmation of Landing Document.
  • Canada Travel Document.
  • Canadian Certificate of Identity.
  • Foreign passport stamped "Permanent Resident" by Canadian Immigration officials.
  • Returning Resident Permit.
If you are not a Canadian Citizen, Status Indian, or Permanent Resident you must submit one of these documents:
  • Visitor Record
  • Employment Authorization
  • Student Authorization
  • Permit to come into or to remain in Canada
  • Extension of Permit
  • Local Visitor Control
  • Department of Foreign Affairs identity card
  • Unexpired foreign passport containing courtesy or diplomatic visa stamp
  • Refugee Status Claim